Who: All D.C. Voters and Democratic Primary Candidates
What: D.C.’s first Town Hall On Marijuana Policy
Where: The Black Cat (1811 14th St NW)
When: Wednesday June 1st, 2016 from 7pm – 9pm
Tickets: RSVP for FREE ticket via Eventbrite.
DC Council Candidate Town Hall on Marijuana Policy – Hosted by DCMJ, Drug Policy Action, and Marijuana Policy Project
Candidates joining us include: David Garber (A-L), Jack Evans (Ward 2), Leon Andrews (Ward 4)
Our moderator will find out the candidates’ views about how D.C. can move forward on these issues and more. There will also be an opportunity for members of the public to submit questions.
*Consuming cannabis outside your home is still a criminal offense under D.C. law, so please respect our venue and leave your marijuana at home. Thank you.
Why: Initiative 71, which allows adults to possess limited amounts marijuana and grow up to 6 plants, has been a tremendous success. Arrests are down 85% and the initiative is as popular as ever. But, there is still more work to be done:
– There is nowhere for adults to purchase non-medical cannabis!
That’s because Congress continues to block the D.C. government from implementing the will of the voters (although reserve funds may provide a way around this).
– There is still a racial disparity in the remaining arrests (85% of those arrested for public consumption are African American).
– The city is missing out on a tremendous source of tax revenue.
– People who can’t use cannabis in their homes have no safe, legal alternative because of the social use ban.
– Some patients can’t access D.C.’s medical program due to high costs and lack of reciprocity.
DONT FORGET TO GET YOUR FREE TICKETS: